Durham Garbage Disposal Services
Fast, Reliable, & Affordable Service
Your kitchen sink is one of the most used drains in your home, so it's no surprise that the kitchen drain line is one of the most commonly clogged drains. The easiest way to keep your kitchen drain clear is to regularly use a garbage disposal.
Unfortunately, many homeowners don't realize how much damage a clogged garbage disposal can cause. The grinding action of the disposal can break up large objects, but if the drain is clogged, the food can back up into the pipes and cause a clog or a blockage.
If you are looking for reliable Durham garbage disposal services, Total Plumbing is the team to call. We have the tools and training to handle any job, big or small.
Call our Durham garbage disposal experts at (919) 642-1047 to schedule an appointment.
What to Look for in a Garbage Disposal
A garbage disposal is a relatively simple device, but there are a few things to look for when shopping for a new unit.
Here are some things to look for:
- Sound level: If you're going to have a garbage disposal, you're going to have to get used to the noise. The good news is that newer models are much quieter than older models. If you're looking at two models, pay attention to the decibel rating.
- Horsepower: The more powerful the motor, the better the unit can handle larger food scraps. If you have a large family, you'll want to look for a unit with a powerful motor.
- Stainless steel: There are two types of materials commonly used for the housing of a garbage disposal: Stainless steel and galvanized steel. Stainless steel is more resistant to corrosion and rust.
How to Use a Garbage Disposal
Using a garbage disposal is easy, but there are a few tips to ensure that you get the most out of your unit and avoid clogs.
Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Only use cold water when running the disposal
- Never put large items, such as bones or eggshells, into the disposal
- Don't put oils or fats down the disposal
- Don't put too much food down the disposal at once
When to Call a Plumber for Garbage Disposal Service
A garbage disposal is a great convenience for your kitchen, but it doesn't come without its own unique problems.
Here are some signs you should call a plumber:
- Noisy disposals: As we mentioned above, newer models are much quieter than older models. If your unit is making strange grinding or whirring noises, it's time to call a plumber.
- Bits of food are getting stuck: A working garbage disposal should effectively chop up food and send it down the drain. If you notice that food is getting stuck in the drain, call a plumber.
- Water is backing up into the sink: If food is getting stuck in the drain, it can cause a blockage that causes the water to back up into the sink. Call our plumbers for garbage disposal repair immediately.
- The unit is not working at all: If your garbage disposal is not working at all, it could be due to a number of issues. The good news is that they're usually simple to fix. Call our plumbers to get your unit up and running again.
For repair, maintenance, and installation of your garbage disposal in Durham, call (919) 642-1047 or contact us online.
"Total plumbing is the last plumbing service you’ll ever need! Reagan and his crew are great to work with. They’re friendly, professional, and do exceptional work at a fair price. I will be using them for any future plumbing needs." - Trevor (Happy Client)
We take pride in our work as plumbers, delivering high-quality results using the best products and drawing from many years of experience.
As plumbers who prioritize honesty and professionalism, we always strive to provide our clients with reliable and efficient services to meet their needs.
We take pride in being plumbers who treat our customers like family and give back to our community, it's our way of showing gratitude and building lasting relationships.